Now an ivy covered ruin, this castle was built in the mid 15th century by members of the Lamont clan in order to fortify their hold over south-west Cowal. It originally consisted of a square keep and courtyard with vaulted basements, however today only the west wall really remains. In 1646 the castle was besieged by the rival Campbell clan in retaliation to Lamont raids of Campbell land. After receiving assurances that they would go free if they surrendered, the Lamont defenders eventually conceded the castle. The Campbells immediately reneged on their promises however, and the castle was sacked and burned and the defenders were slaughtered.